Bangladeshis have continued to migrate to Australia either as professionals or students. Over the last two decades Australia has been a destination of choice for Bangladeshis to migrate to. With the higher number of Bangladeshis the showcasing of Bangladeshi culture in Australia has also increased. Statistic shows that in the last year, there were seven Melas (Fairs/Festivals), 11 musical shows – which numerous famous singers came from Bangladesh to perform in, two theatrical shows and many more across Sydney and Melbourne these numbers are also trending upwards.
The Sydney Olympic Park Mela is the most successful Bangladeshi event in Sydney it continues to grow every year and is instrumental showcasing our rich culture through various artists who have made Sydney their home. Like many artists and performers Poth Productions was given the opportunity to perform in the Mela first in 2011. Since then Poth Productions have partnered with them for their Main Gala Event.
Who is Poth Productions?
Poth Productions was originally established in 2009 and is well known for producing a rich blend of innovative contemporary theatre and musical based performances that appeal to a broad range of audiences.
Be it the lavish sets, or heavily prop- based production,their shows and performances are an unpredictable voyage – poised between performance and reality- making it an unparalleled tantalizing experience for their audiences. Poth Productions founders set out to explore and nurture their individual interests and passions in performing and importantly to be a platform for:
- Nurturing talents (in theatre and musical fields) within the Bangladeshi Community;
- Organizing cultural events, concerts and musicals;
- Delivering and depicting social messages, and Bangladeshi history, literature and heritage through artistic mediums including theatre and musicals.
- Becoming ‘a-bridge’ between Bangladeshi and Australian cultures by bringing in elements of both cultures through their fusion segments – a key element of their performance.
Who is in the Team?
The founders are good mates who come from different professional backgrounds, they all came together to work as a team for this non-for-profit venture.
Their connecting point is their passion and interest in the theatre, live music, dance and the performing arts.
Later, other dynamic and interested folks like Munna Zafar, Abrar Quaz Hossain, Amreen Hossain, Soura Panday, Rokib Islam became part of the team, each with their own administrative, cultural, technical and creative abilities.
The latest team members are Sakib Iftekhar (a Sales & Marketing and Account Management Professional) and Shamarukh Mahmud (a student, Accountant and Auditor).
Other members, who are key to the Poth Prodcutions team are its talented choreographers, each of them with many years of training and performing experience in Bangladesh, Australia and other countries and who have won many national awards. They are Tasnuva Gazi DiTi, Elison Mondal, Nixon Gomes, Aditi Sreyashi Barua- to name a few.
Projection and Audio Visual support are provided by Russel AH, Shaon Arijit, Rakesh Mondol and Tasnuva Amin.
Way of thinking:
Poth Productions is very focused on engaging with the community and upholding Bangladeshi culture with a blend of western influence. Their ideas are:
- Making a community contribution to the cultural movement, bridging gap between cultures, introducing new styles, approaches and messages through performance and TV;
- Nurturing and supporting fresh talent (especially Bangladeshis in Australia) in the fields of performance, singing, dance, fashion, drama, photography, videography and audio visual.
What are they up to for 2014:
Some of the pressing things they have on their plate for the year 2014 include:
- Performing in the main cultural segment for Sydney Olympic Park Boishakhi Mela 2014 as the Cultural Partner of Boishakhi Mela;
- A telefilm project, which is now in pre-production;
- A talk show where they will be inviting people from the different backgrounds;
- And a musical in the last quarter of 2014
Our community activities are on the rise each year, which is great news, but with this comes the expectation to maintain and deliver a quality program which is an important part of our cultural movement. A young and talented group like Poth Productions is committed to deliver quality productions in the years to come. Through their concert alongside the big stars from Bangladesh such as Maqsood, Andrew Kishore, Rizia Parveen in February last year they have proven they can produce a quality show.
I see them as a ‘wind of change’ and believe this venture will leave a milestone in the community and inspire many other young talented people from the community to be involved in creative endeavours further enriching Banagaleshi culture and its contribution to the greater Australian community.