This Christmas don’t forget how much you love your trusty pet!
With the busy holiday season upon us, don’t waste time chasing your tail wondering what a perfect pet gift for Christmas may entail. The Australian Veterinary Association (AVA) has compiled a useful list of pet gifts; things they’ll appreciate, which happen to be good for them too.
“There are many ways you can show your pet how much they mean to you without spending a fortune,” said AVA spokesperson, Dr David Neck.
“What our pets need the most is our love and attention, and of course some good quality pet food.
“But there are some simple things you can give and do to spoil them over the Christmas.”
Top Christmas gift ideas for pets include:
• A new name tag for your pet’s collar so they can be easily returned to you if they get lost
• A new Frisbee or rubber ball for your dog so you can spend time playing together
• A bell for your cat’s collar – while they may not necessarily love it, it will certainly be better for warning off any wildlife they might be thinking about catching for their Christmas dinner
• A session at the vet groomer to trim those nails or clean those teeth
• Try a reward-based training session with an accredited dog trainer which is also something you can do together
• Or you could make some homemade Christmas minty dog biscuits (see recipe below).
“So show your pets you’re their buddy, even when the sofa’s muddy!” Dr Neck says.
Christmas minty dog biscuits
1 cup water
2.5 cups of whole wheat flour
Half a cup of oatmeal
Third of a cup of chopped parsley
2 tablespoons of fresh mint
Mix together the water and flour then slowly knead together the rest of the ingredients. Roll out mixture to 5cm thickness. Use Christmas shaped biscuit cutters and place the pieces on a grease proof try. Bake in the oven at 180 degrees for about 30-35 minutes.